Sunday, December 16, 2012

Diabetes Doesn't Care


Diabetes doesn't care if your friend is leaving town for several weeks and you want to say goodbye before she leaves.

Diabetes doesn't care if you are tired and want to go to bed.

Diabetes doesn't care if you are tired of eating sugar.

Diabetes doesn't care if anything else is going on in your life.

Diabetes doesn't care about you in any way. But the kicker is, you have to care about it. You can't ignore it. Ever.

The last 2 nights we have battled lows that Would. Not. Budge. Even with massive amounts of carbs. Tonight was shorter than last night. We have done more insulin adjustments, so hopefully tomorrow night will be better. But who knows? Diabetes likes to keep it confusing. It doesn't follow any rules.

This is what's left behind after several hours of stubborn lows :


The food tally for that low: 2 graham crackers with peanut butter, 2 juice boxes, 2 packages of Skittles (fun size), 6 spoonfuls of cake frosting, and an entire regular Dr Pepper. It took all of that to get him over 100 so it was safe for him to go to bed. He was nauseous and exhausted. Imagine his frustration when the scene was repeated tonight. Oh, and I haven't even mentioned the finger sticks yet. 10 last night and 9 tonight. He is out of fingers to test on. We need a break. HE needs a break, but diabetes doesn't care. 


Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I apologize if I took this concept from another blog. I was typing in exhaustion. After posting, I wondered if I had read somewhere before that diabetes doesn't care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love reading your blogs. It gives me a tiny insig into what is going on in your lives, and a direction to pray. I read everyone, and if I have missed any, I go back and read those, too. I love you guys... Kelli

    ReplyDelete