Sunday, November 1, 2015

Diabetes Awareness and Thankfulness

November is diabetes awareness month.  It is also Thanksgiving month, so many people do 30 days of thankfulness.  For 3 years, I've tried to resolve those 2 things in my mind. Sure, I'm thankful for insulin, glucose meters, Dexcom, and all those other things that make this disease more manageable than it has ever been.  But can I find something about the disease itself to be thankful for?  That's where I've struggled.  How can you be thankful for a chronic life-threatening illness?

Then I heard this song:

It describes so perfectly what life has been like the last 3 years.  We are so thankful every day for another day.  It would be poor manners to tell someone else that they aren't promised another day, but I can tell myself!

Our family has always valued our time together, but since diagnosis that time has been even more precious.  We've taken a couple of weekend trips as a family and even took a vacation last year, something we hadn't done in a very long time. We all worked together this past summer.  Jason and I teach at the same school, and the boys attend the same college. They even have a class together.  So yes, we are embracing living life and loving each other every day, more than ever before.  There aren't many things to be thankful for with diabetes, but I think living life to the fullest every single day is a pretty great thing!



Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment